Sunday, November 25, 2012

Reborn

Has it really been (more than) a year? Frankly, the FitPC/Iguana driver issues just got the better of me, and I lost all momentum on this project. Earlier in the year I was given a Raspberry Pi, and I've recently been thinking this might be a good device to try for this very purpose. So I've spent a bit of time thinking and writing some code to get the basic things working. It was fairly easy to hook up an IR transmitter and receiver to the GPIO ports on the Pi. I'd initally thought I could just poll the port in order to learn the IR codes, but it's proven to be problematic - the resolution just isn't high enough. So, I've resorted to using LIRC again to try to do this. Today I've downloaded the new Raspbian image for the Pi and am in the process of getting the LIRC drivers compiled for the Kernel. This is somewhat time consuming and probably won't be finished today, but hopefully I'll be able to soon get LIRC up and running and see if I can get any success with receiving and transmitting IR using this new bit of hardware. This could be a very short rebirth if the drivers don't work.

1 comment: