Wednesday, November 2, 2011

One step forward, two steps back

It's been a while since the last update, mainly because things haven't progressed a great deal.
I reinstalled the previous version of Ubuntu and it did allow the system to run, however, I started encountering problems with the IR driver locking up. There was nothing obviously wrong (and nothing on the manufacturer website) so I decided to start again, Reinstall version 9.10 of Ubuntu again but not apply any updates.

Busy weekends and long working weeks conspired to delay this but I managed to do this last Friday and it appeared to work.

I then spent the weekend implementing (most of) the configuration file system to optimise startup times (in the end I didn't use Boost, but went for a simpler solution - a shame since that was what started all these problems). I also took the opportunity to rework the channel picker control so you now have to press a button to activate the selection. Everything seemed to be working well, but when I disconnected all the development kit and reinstalled the server in the lounge, the IR crash problems started to appear again.
I've managed to do some investigations and found that the daemon appears to lock and refuse to send any IR signals - the only solution is to restart the daemon. More testing revealed this happens quite quickly under some circumstances, but doesn't seem to happen at all at other times. My conculsion is that the way in which I'm interfacing to the driver must be problematic, so I need to revisit that.

So, I need to look at the way I'm driving the IR device through the driver - possibly write some test code to try different techniques of making it work and see which ones are the most reliable. I also need to finish the configuration file mechanism and also do some more optimisations for speed of network connection. Finally, I want to enhance the control layout mechanism so I can test drive some better layouts for controlling devices.

No comments:

Post a Comment